Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:47:00 +0300, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> Emrah BASKAYA wrote:
>> Proposal: A new property that will allow any content in a given element
>> be centered vertically:
>> content-vertical-align
>
> Just incase you, and anyone else, are unaware of this fact, vertical
> centering is already possible using at least 2 different methods that I
> know of (ignoring browser support issues).
>
> The following examples work with this minimal HTML document, and center
> the p element both horizontally and vertically:
>    <title>Vertical Center</title>
>
> Example 1:

Thanks for pointing this out.

It takes at least two wrapping elements (one table, and one table-cell)
and its content wrapping element, but still, it would be the only way to
go if content-vertical-align is not accepted, it is good to know there is
a way (so there is a way.) (Tho not properly supported by that one
browser, this isn't css's fault.)

Which is another reason to why we need a content vertical-align: We can
get rid of the extra syntax (and make use of percentages) needed to do the
job, make it easier on the eye, avoid mixing-up of already misundertood
vertical-align property (which should be named inline-vertical-align btw)

I still think this proposal brings something nice to CSS, whose motto is
seperation of style from content, so I am backing it like before.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com