Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

Orion Adrian wrote:
>>Isn't :before deprecated in this way for ::before? Not a big change,
>>but a change nonetheless.

However, it is done in a way that new pseudo-elements may only use the
double colon syntax (and may only be recognized as valid in such) and
the pseudo-elements that already existed (in CSS 2.1) can be used both ways.

So although there was a syntax improvement, which now all major UAs that
do pseudo-elements support, backwards compatibility was not broken and
so versioning wasn't needed.

> The change you're talking about was the separation of pseudo-elements
> (:) and peudo-classes (::). Though I could be mixing the syntaxes up.

It is the other way around. Pseudo-elements are denoted with a double colon.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>