Re: CSS is doomed (10 years per version ?!?)

On 7/3/05, Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl> wrote:
> Orion Adrian wrote:
> >>Isn't :before deprecated in this way for ::before? Not a big change,
> >>but a change nonetheless.
>
> However, it is done in a way that new pseudo-elements may only use the
> double colon syntax (and may only be recognized as valid in such) and
> the pseudo-elements that already existed (in CSS 2.1) can be used both ways.
>
> So although there was a syntax improvement, which now all major UAs that
> do pseudo-elements support, backwards compatibility was not broken and
> so versioning wasn't needed.

Maybe not for this, but there is only a certain extent to which this
kind of behavior can be maintained. At some point you're going to have
to cut something. That or be the bandaid eyesore of all time.

Versioning will happen or CSS will die. That's my prediction.

Orion Adrian