Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> | On Tue, 14 Jun 2005, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> | >
> | > I've already published this in the list not once: [...]
> |
> | This definition is not well-defined.
>
> Agree, it is unformal definition targeted to be human readable (as a
> first step of discussion),

Right... This is why the working group hasn't given it much time, it's
because there is no formal proposal, and we can't tell, from the informal
definition, what you really want.

> | For example: what does it mean for a
> | length to not be interpreted at all?
>
> Literally (as mentioned): will be treated as undefined.

I have no idea what "treated as undefined" means. Nothing in CSS is
"undefined" except if you mean "up to the UA" which is something we do our
best to avoid since it only results in non-interoperable behaviour.

> | What does it mean to "compete for space along an axis"? How does this
> | interact with section 10 of 2.1?
>
> %% units are accountible (apply) to dimensional attibutes
> (width,height,margins,baddings, borders) of inline-block elements and
> block elements in normal flow. [...]

I have no idea what this means, in exact CSS terms.

> | What is the computed value of lengths with such
> | units?
>
> Definition by example:

Definition by example is not good enough for this kind of work, sorry.

> CSS spec is not formal enough to be considered as a strict and formal
> definition.
>
> Example:
> reading
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#alignment-prop
> try to design procedure which does text line justification.
>
> "In the case of 'justify', the UA may stretch the
> inline boxes in addition to adjusting their positions"
>
> What are "inline boxes" here? And so on.

Uh, "inline boxes" is a defined CSS term, see, e.g., 9.2.2.