Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: "David Woolley" <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>; <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 6:03 PM
Subject: Re: Proposal: content-vertical-alignment

| > | This definition is not well-defined.
| >
| > Agree, it is unformal definition targeted to be human readable (as a
| > first step of discussion),
|
| Right... This is why the working group hasn't given it much time, it's
| because there is no formal proposal, and we can't tell, from the informal
| definition, what you really want.

I think all of us wants them, just don't realise that
without %% it is impossible to reproduce <table> in CSS. Dot.

If you have concerns then please tell me how following will look like
in CSS:

| > | For example: what does it mean for a
| > | length to not be interpreted at all?
| >
| > Literally (as mentioned): will be treated as undefined.
|
| I have no idea what "treated as undefined" means. Nothing in CSS is
| "undefined" except if you mean "up to the UA" which is something we do our
| best to avoid since it only results in non-interoperable behaviour.

Does anybody else have troubles with understanding "treated as undefined" ?

"will be treated" idiom is already used in CSS, please read:
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/syndata.html

| > | What does it mean to "compete for space along an axis"? How does this
| > | interact with section 10 of 2.1?
| >
| > %% units are accountible (apply) to dimensional attibutes
| > (width,height,margins,baddings, borders) of inline-block elements and
| > block elements in normal flow. [...]
|
| I have no idea what this means, in exact CSS terms.

Sorry.

| > | What is the computed value of lengths with such
| > | units?
| >
| > Definition by example:
|
| Definition by example is not good enough for this kind of work, sorry.

Sorry, but definition by example is widely used in science
and in formal logic in particular.

| > CSS spec is not formal enough to be considered as a strict and formal
| > definition.
| >
| > Example:
| > reading
| > http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#alignment-prop
| > try to design procedure which does text line justification.
| >
| > "In the case of 'justify', the UA may stretch the
| > inline boxes in addition to adjusting their positions"
| >
| > What are "inline boxes" here? And so on.
|
| Uh, "inline boxes" is a defined CSS term, see, e.g., 9.2.2.

What kind of inline boxes UA may stretch?

This phrase literally means than UA allowed to change width
of <span style="width:100px">

| --
| Ian Hickson               U+1047E                )\._.,--....,'``.    fL
| http://ln.hixie.ch/       U+263A                /,   _.. \   _\  ;`._ ,.
| Things that are impossible just take longer.   `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.'

(Do I owe you something and forgot? Why so ..umm.. sarcastic?)

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com