Re: Opacities

Well then use JPG2000 files.  They do include opacity and work well
with the types of files for which JPG produces smaller files than does
PNG.  Support for the JPG2000 format should be widespread well
before support for CSS background/forground opacity properties
could be widespread.

> Personally I think this is a feature that will continue to be requested
> many times. It really isn't a pricey addition anyway since opacity is
> already supported via the opacity property. The convenience and
> consumer demand of such a feature out-weighs any perceived
> bloatedness (if that's a word) it might bring IMHO. By the same token
> not supporting it will result in unnecessary hacks even if the effect
> can be done with PNG, SVG or any other graphic format.

In any case there will exist a CSS hack to do this once the Generated
Content module enters the CR stage.

#foo::outside {
  display:block;
  background-image:url(bar.jpg);
  opacity:0.8;
}

without having to add a property like so:

#foo {
  background-image:url(bar.jpg);
  background-opacity: 0.8;
}

I'd much rather have the hack be used on those few occasions where
it will be useful than to have to carry an extra pait of properties on
every element.