Re: Useragent Rules in CSS

On Mar 30, 2004, at 2:45 PM, Brian V Bonini wrote:
> The whole idea seems to legitimize and condone the broken and
> non-compliant state most browsers currently find themselves in.
>
> I would think the preferable, yet probably less likely resolve, is for
> the browser manufacturers make a better effort toward recommendation
> compliancy.

I'm sorry, you're right.  Obviously designers such as Dave Shea
should stop using CSS, and should go back to presentational HTML,
or simply serving up HTML sans styles, until such time as the browser
manufacturers reach compliancy.

Thank goodness we have such simple solutions!  I hadn't realized that
Shea is just some lunatic who doesn't live in the REAL world, where
we can simply say "oh, it's broken browsers, and that's bad" and
happily go on our way.

Go on our way and...um, declare that CSS is completely unusable for
anything approaching serious design, so we can't do a damn thing with
it until the browsers get fixed.

Bravo, Brian!  Great solution.  At least we're not legitimizing
anything, cuz that would be BAD.

--Kynn

PS:  CSS3 is being developed as modules.  Not all user agents will
      support all of those modules, presumably.  Any thoughts on what
      implications that will have?

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com