Re: Proposal: useragent at-rule

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:39:55 -0800, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

..

> A simpler variation that might be useful here is a way of indicating
> that the user-agent should ignore an entire block of rules if it does
> not support any of the properties or values involved.  This could be
> implemented entirely at parse time and would be relatively easy to
> implement.  For example:
>
> @if-all-supported {   /* I don't like the name, as usual */
>   html { display: table; }
>   body { display: table-row; }
>   body > * { display: table-cell; }
>   body > *:first-child { width: 10em; }
> }

This would allow both hacking as much as you want...

@all-or-nothing {
.dummy {property: value-unknown-to-opera-9;}
.real {margin-left: 10em;}
}

... to exclude specific CSS3+ browsers [1], as the genuine creation of
rule-blocks that should really be applied together or not at all. Not a
bad idea at all, IMHO.

[1] With all the usual side-effects BTW, like Opera 9.2 suddenly
supporting this property-value pair and hence parsing the block
completely. For reasons explained in my first post in this thread, I don't
think pure UA-detection is a good solution.

--
The Web is a procrastination apparatus:    |  Rijk van Geijtenbeek
It can absorb as much time as              |   Documentation & QA