Re: Dreams aloud

On Monday 2004-06-28 12:15 -0700, Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:
> It would be nice if instead of three separate attributes width, min-width,
> max-width we represent
> 'width' as an aggregate or structure:
>
> width: 100px; /* old style */
> width: 50% (min:20px, max:100px)

See also the following (and other messages in the threads):
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Mar/0086.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jul/0040.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jul/0057.html

> The same approach could be used for 'display':
>
> display: block(position:float-left)
> display: block(position:absolute, top:10px, ... )
> display: inline;
>
> Just to avoid mutualy exclusive attribute values.

What is it you want to do here?  I've often thought that 'position:
absolute', 'position: fixed' and probably 'float: left' and 'float:
right' should just be values of 'display' rather than separate
properties.  What advantage does your proposal have over such a change?

-David