Re: [CSS21] Test Suite

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Thomas Scholz wrote:
>>
>> It's up to the browser developers to render perfect valid HTML
>> compliance mode« are moving targets, so I don't care anymore about the
>> reasons for a bug.
>
> Actually they're pretty stable now.

They were never stable. That's nothing I can rely on.

> You don't have to cope with lots of rendering modes. Just trigger
> standards more. To do that, just make sure the first thing in the
> document is an HTML4 Strict DOCTYPE.

I can't. You too.
<http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:Dg36FzGJF20J:ln.hixie.ch>

While I see the problem behind the idea of doctypeswitching, I really,
really hate the »solution«. It never worked and it will never work. I've
needed and reverse. The document type declaration is just the wrong place
to ask for a compatibility mode. It's markup not style, now misused for
layout purposes. The doctype switch is the continuation of the layout
table with the same methods.

Long time ago, when Opera 7.0 implemented The Switch, I asked for a method
to prevent quirks mode in all circumstences. I never got an answer. A
simple
/*--quirks:never--*/ had been enough. No luck.

Everey feature that can't be turned off is a bug.

Thomas
--
http://scholz-webdesign.de/