Re: XHTML attributes and namespace, clarification needed

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> Attributes inherit their namespace from the element they are on.
>
> No, they do not....  And Werner did not claim they do.

Hm...

>> So I'd say your third point is not valid.
>
> Which third point was this, exactly?

The one Daniel denoted as 3) in his original message.

>> So, all in all, I think you are having a huge misunderstanding of the
>> way XML works here. What's worse, there have been like 12 replies of
>> which only one (Werner's) made sense to me.
>
> Almost all the replies, including Werner's, said the same thing....  The
> only difference is that Werner pointed out that some parts of attribute
> behavior can be modeled with a somewhat erroneous (in that it does not
> match what the XML/XHTML/etc specs actually say) but simple model --
> that of saying the attributes are somehow in the namespace of the
> element they're attributes of.

Hm, well, but I can't find anything in the XML Namespaces document that
explicitly says it is in the 'null' namespace (or I must have missed
it), and I also don't think it makes sense if that weren't the case.

But ok, if you say it's an oversimplification...

I hope they will 'fix' this in XML 2.0 to remove the 'but' and null
namespace mumbo jumbo (or did they perhaps already do that in 1.1?).

> Daniel's original mail concerned cases where that simple model breaks
> down and can no longer be used to model the behavior of attributes.

Hm, well, I guess you know what you're talking about :). To me they
seemed to be discussing things which were evident (that is: obviously
with the same name in the same namespace).

~Grauw