Re: Pagination in CSS3 Paged Media

Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> James Ross wrote:
>> -- possible break --
>
> I was hoping this was the case, but that wasn't clear to me from the
> spec (and I can think of at least one implementor and WG member who
> thought this was NOT the case based on that spec).

I thought this bit was pretty clear, actually. Perhaps it all hinges on
my interpretation of Rule A's phrase "all the elements generating boxes
that meet at this margin", which I took to mean just the <div>s in the
quote above. The common parent, the <td>, is specifically referred to by
Rule B anyway.

>> If the long text in the 4th <td/> doesn't fit on a page, I would break
>> it using type 2 breaks (line boxes),
>
> Again, that's by no means clear from what the spec says....

This, however, was mostly me going with what I thought should happen.
There is certainly nothing in the spec about how to break when two or
more 'columns' of content has to be dealt with, and I have no idea how
to go about doing such breaking (except on intuition, which isn't
exactly something you can put down in code).

> If James' interepretation is correct, I suggest either this section of
> the specification be reworded to clearly state that the parents of the
> box under consideration do not matter for breaking purposes or that some
> nice examples are added.  Or both.

Examples would always be good, especially as we seem to have multiple
interpretations of this already.

--
James Ross <silver@warwickcompsoc.co.uk>

Surely you remember how to speak. I am finding it difficult to carry
both sides of this conversation.
           -- Mr. Yotsuya
              (Maison Ikkoku, by Rumiko Takahashi)