Re: [CSS3] Generated and Replaced Content - Grouping (long, examples)

On Oct 30, 2003, at 9:35 AM, Stanimir Stamenkov wrote:

> Robert Koberg wrote:
>
>> You would be surprised how much it simplifies things. Separation of
>> Concerns is a good thing.
>
> O.k. We are talking about improving the CSS language.
> Workarounds/practices defined for/of shortcomings are not eternal
> solution, IMHO.

I believe you should not look for a Golden Hammer
(http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GoldenHammer). And in this case, it does not
even seem possible, so you need a different approach. It is not a
workaround. It is a best-practice.

>> In the example I provided (to address this concern) which you seem to
>> have ignored, I used the element name as the class name. Therefore
>> you handle the final styling with CSS.
>
> BTW, your example is not very good for my case. In the abstract XML a
> need to have:

I don't understand why you *need* it especially if it does not exist
yet. Create a useful content architecture and the rest is easy.

> <HDR1/>
> <PARA/>
> <HDR2/>
> <PARA/>
> <HDR3/>
> <PARA/>
> <HDR2/>
> <PARA/>
> <PARA/>

Why set yourself up for a difficult task when you can set yourself up
for an easy one?

Anyway, you can use XSL to transform the above nodeset (XML has a root
tag) into the structure you present below. It is a VFAQ on the XSL
list. There are several resources that show you how to solve it with
the best probably at:
http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/grouping/index.html

> and in the HTML output:
>
> <BODY>
>   <H1/>
>   <P/>
>   <DIV class="generated-section">
>     <H2/>
>     <P/>
>     <DIV class="generated-section">
>       <H3/>
>       <P/>
>     </DIV>
>   </DIV>
>   <DIV class="generated-section">
>     <H2/>
>     <P/>
>     <P/>
>   </DIV>
> </BODY>
>
> So I want to display my source XML document using CSS without
> transforming it into another and applying different CSS.

No, IMO, you really don't want this. But, good luck anyway.

best,
-Rob