Re: CSS21 Syndata.html Section 4

Yes, I understand the difference between CSS and XSLT.

Perhaps I work with too many environments where printing is not thru drivers.
Ignore the file comment, in a lot of these environments the data is first saved
in a file, but it could be sent directly to a printer.

In any event I don't feel strongly about the \A, if no one else sees any risk
in there being a requirement to actually have an LF instead.

As for the decimal numbers, they are used in 4.1.1. I see that U+hhhh syntax is
used elsewhere in CSS, so the references to decimal codes should be changed in
sec 4 to use the same syntax.

The octal reference is to the macro definitions
escape  {unicode}|\\[ -~\200-\4177777]

It would be nice if this could be changed to hex, but it is under the covers
for css implementers and is probably not critical.

tex

Martin Duerst wrote:

> At 21:42 03/10/15 -0400, Tex Texin wrote:
>
> >David,
> >
> >ok, now I see what you mean about the connection between \A and white-space.
> >
> >I was thinking I might want the output to be data (perhap in a file) that was
> >going to be sent to a specific model printer.
> >I have no way of emitting U+000A, if that is what the device needs for an
> >escape sequence or line control.
>
> CSS is not XSLT. XSLT is a file-to-file conversion. CSS just
> defines how things are rendered; making sure that the right
> codes are sent to a printer is a job for the CSS implementation
> and/or the printer driver.
>
> >Just a suggestion and I recognize you probably can't use the Unicode notation
> >without changing a number of other character references. For consistency I
> >guess you can replace 'U+000A' with 'character 10 in Unicode or "A" in
> >hexadecimal'
>
> A propos 'character 10 in Unicode': Using octal or decimal numbers
> for Unicode characters is a very bad idea. If CSS does that in any
> place, this urgently has to be fixed.
>
> Regards,    Martin.

Making e-Business Work Around the World