From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Gerard Torenvliet
Sent: 04 June 2003 17:50
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Ideas for CSS 3.0?

All,
I hope this is the right place for this request (please chide me charitably
if not!).
I have been looking over the drafts for CSS 3.0, and they are missing a few
things that I had been hoping that I would see:
-       the ability to achieve the same effect as the text-align style, but
for elements like div (i.e., to have the ability to set a div to a certain
size and then center that div in its parent)
-       the ability to specify sizes in a combination of units (i.e. left =
0.4em + 16px); this would allow me to more easily construct relative-sized
layouts
-       the ability to specify widths and heights that span the remainder of
the space to the edge of the viewport; this would allow me to create
elements that, for instance, started at a left position of 20% and stretched
all the way to the right edge of the viewport.
With CSS 2.0, I am able to achieve the first effect by nesting divs, and the
third by using javascript sizing. Nesting divs is acceptable (but
cumbersome); the more that reliance on Javascript in sizing can be
eliminated, the more accessible my pages will be.
Is there a provision for these effects in CSS 3.0 that I’ve missed? If not,
what is the process for getting these ideas considered for inclusion?
Thanks,
-Gerard
===
Gerard Torenvliet