Re: Being clear about clear

On Wednesday, November 20, 2002, 3:40:25 AM, L. David Baron wrote:
> > So which should it be? Just adjacent boxes or all previous floating
> > boxes? From my tests, both IE6 and Gecko only clear adjacent boxes. Opera
> > sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.
>
> Could you explain what you mean by adjacency?  It might help to give one
> of your tests as an example.

OK, take an example like http://tom.me.uk/2002/11/clear-test-1.html.
As far as I read CSS 2, that should actually be rendered with the
cleared text vertically below the floated text.

If that is so, it doesn't make much sense to me.

> (Do you mean that it only clears blocks from floats that are
> floating from the same normal flow that contains the block?)

Heh, I've run into trouble with this one, I'm not entirely sure *what*
I mean. I originally found that Opera 7 beta 1 rendered the image on
http://tom.me.uk/2002/11/op7-float-test.html different to IE/Gecko,
and was going to file a bug, but it seemed that Opera was actually
correct (is it?). But I think your description is along the lines that
I'm thinking, yes.

Cheers
--
Tom Gilder