Re: CSS3 module: lists question

Christian Roth wrote:
 > <http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-lists-20020220>
 >
 > The ::marker pseudo class is only valid on elements with display property
 > set to 'list-item'.

Well, it only has any effect on elements with that display value, right.

 > This means that when using anonymous style declarations via the
 > 'style' attribute in an XML application (that supports it) results
 > in a required repetition of the specification for the 'content'
 > property of the ::marker on every list item of a list.

Don't use style attributes. They are structurally unsound, do not work
with alternate stylesheets, interact poorly with the CSS cascade
mechanism, are hard to maintain, encourage authoring techniques that
are bad for accessibility, and result in bloated documents.

 > However, I think a common case is to style list item markers within
 > a single list similarly, relying on only a single general CSS rule
 > for list items to increment their counter.
 >
 > Does there already exist a mechanism to specify the <list-item>
 > ::marker's content property once on its enclosing <list> element, so
 > that virtually each <list-item> inherits the ::marker declaration on
 > the enclosing <list>?

Yes:

    list > list-item::marker { ... }

--
Ian Hickson
``The inability of a user agent to implement part of this specification due to