Re: position: fixed [Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?]

Hello Vadim,

On Thursday, October 25, 2001 you wrote:

> |   "Fixed positioning is supported by Opera and Mozilla.

> Hmmm. Please try example below (it's based on your example, with some
> modifications to improove visual perception)
> I tested it in Opera5/Linux and Mozilla 0.9.1/Linux.
> Neither Opera nor Mozilla could:
> a) center text horizontally
> b) center DIV block vertically
> c) paint background for DIV block in light-gray - rgb (211,211,211)
> d) paint border-top and border-bottom

> So, statement that "Fixed positioning is supported by Opera and Mozilla" is
> somewhat too strong. 'position: fixed' doesn't work on this example in Opera
> and Mozilla.
> In contrast, my Konqueror 2.2.1 displays this example pretty well.
> See screenshot attached.

[..]

There are some strange (for me at least) whitespace characters in your
code. After putting the file through HTML Tidy, it showed just like
you screenshot in Opera 5.x. Finding the relevant difference between
the tidied and the original file was quite hard, as I normally don't
have to deal with binary....
Some spaces were coded as A0 instead of 20.

This:
    text-align: center;
is not the same as ...
    text-align: center;

> |   It's not true centering vertically since the height
> DIV's content
> |   isn't taken into the calulation.

> Pardon?

If there's only a single line in the DIV, it will still start at 40%
height. Only when the content exactly fills the 20% height, you can
call it truly centered vertically. The lack of a 'shrink-wrapping'
display style without resorting to table-properties is one of the
problems this thread discusses, IMO.

Greetings,
 Rijk                            mailto:rijk@opera.com

Mot du Jour:
Buy Land Now.  It's Not Being Made Any More.