Re: position: fixed [Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?]

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 October 2001 23:51, Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> |   Also sprach Andrew McFarland:
> |    > What you are wanting to do is center the text vertically in the middle
> |    > of the screen (or window). I don't think CSS `knows' what size the
> |    > screen (or window) is.
> |
> |   MOst of the CSS formatting model deals with elements (and their
> |   associated boxes) and not the viewport (a.k.a. window). There is one
> |   exeption, though. "Fixed positioning" lets you place elements w.r.t
> |   the viewport. Here is a simple example on how to "center" content in
> |   the window:
> |
> [...]
> |
> |   "Fixed positioning is supported by Opera and Mozilla.
> |

> Hmmm. Please try example below (it's based on your example, with some
> modifications to improove visual perception)
> I tested it in Opera5/Linux and Mozilla 0.9.1/Linux.
> Neither Opera nor Mozilla could:
> a) center text horizontally
> b) center DIV block vertically
> c) paint background for DIV block in light-gray - rgb (211,211,211)
> d) paint border-top and border-bottom
>
> So, statement that "Fixed positioning is supported by Opera and Mozilla" is
> somewhat too strong. 'position: fixed' doesn't work on this example in Opera
> and Mozilla.
> In contrast, my Konqueror 2.2.1 displays this example pretty well.
> See screenshot attached.

Am I missing something - this is what I get from Mozilla with the
example you attached. Looks pretty similar to me.

I did have to remove some "garbage" characters from your file before it
would work. Perhaps some sort of text encoding problem?

--
AndyT (lordpixel)