Re: css3 questions and...

tech-st writes:
> Hello
>
> Will CSS 3 in final be synoptic as CSS 2?
> I'am asking this because I see that for now CSS 3 is seperated it is not in
> "one file" (like CSS 2 is in ZIP and...).
> Does someone knows when it will be W3C's Recommendation?

CSS3 is quite large and there are some parts that take much longer to
finish than others. The working group has decided to try to release
parts of it together, when feasible, but when something is ready that
doesn't depend on other parts (such as the Selectors module), we won't
hold it up unnecessarily.

In other words, we expect CSS3 to be released in batches. There
probably won't be a single zip file, at least not on the W3C's
Technical Reports page, although it is possible that we will put a
"non-normative" version somewhere else for easy downlaod...

> off-topic:
> And can someone tell me why is there W3 and W3C?
> Why is there two names, and w3.org and w3c.org?
> What is wrong with W3C name?

That is because of the history of W3C. Originally, W3C was going to be
called W3O (World Wide Web Organization) and reserved the domain name
w3.org. (Some old hands may remember that Arena, the W3C's first
browser, had a W3O logo in the upper right hand corner.) Then when all
the contracts were drawn up and the organization started to look more
like a consortium, the name W3O was dropped and became W3C, but the
domain name remained.

The W3C's Web and mail servers all run on w3.org, which is our
"official" domain, and w3c.org contains just a redirect.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA