Re: What's the model for wrapping text around a floating block?

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001, Lars Nyström wrote:
> When inline text wrap around a floating block, is the margin moved or
> are extra blocks generated to contain contain the shorter lines?

According to CSS1/CSS2, neither, which is a problem for list bullets.
It does make sense for small floats that *can* fit in the margin.  This
has been discussed before [1], and hopefully CSS3 will have a solution
for this problem, probably similar to the one in the current CSS3 box
model draft [2].  Does that solution seem sufficient?

-David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1998Dec/0029.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1998Dec/0066.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1998Dec/0082.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1998Dec/0083.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jan/0056.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jan/0060.html
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jan/0061.html
    and probably many other messages that I can't find right now...
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-box/#the-float-displace

--
L. David Baron        <URL: http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
Mozilla Contributor                      <URL: http://www.mozilla.org/ >