Re: simulating <br>

If you ask me, multiple <br> tags should produce n - 1 blank lines (n being the
number of <br> tags).  Here is why:

start

end
Notice the two blanks lines between start and end.  It would get to the first
a carriage return).  So on line 2 it sees the next <br> and inserts another
carriage return.  It doesn't matter if there is other text on the line or not.
Now on line 3 is sees the last <br> and again inserts a line break.

There should be no colapsing of multiple <br>'s.  I have read (somewhere on the
w3 site I think) that using multiple <br> tags to insert blank space IS
generally considered bad practice, because the author should use style sheets to
accomplish that instead.  And I agree with that.  But that doesn't mean that the
way <br> tags are handled should be changed.
-Peter

Vincent Lefevre <"vincent+www"@vinc17.org> on 10/25/2000 11:56:50 AM