Re: Ideas for the ACSS module of CSS3

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Sean Palmer wrote:

> Exactly. The reasoning behind it is that a User Agent specific link
> (or similar), like 'Do you want to hear this damn navigation bar
> again?' could be placed before the damn annoying navigation bar. It
> follows on from the WAI WCAG accessibility guidelines (actually HTML
> Techniques for...):
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-WCAG10-HTML-TECHS-20000920/#group-bypass
> "13.6 Group related links, identify the group (for user agents), and,
> until user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the group. [Priority
> 3] " However, the retaining of IDs sounds interesting.

Ah, I see. So what you really want is a way to specify that an element
contains a common set of links.

(I would personally say that the HTML <link> element would be better
suited to that, but whatever.)

This is an interesting proposal. Something like:

   body { play: normal; }
   .navbar { play: optional; }

...or something?

Specifically picking the URI to jump to is Bad (tm), since it requires
knowledge of the actual document. Stylesheets should be authorable with
only knowledge of the document writing guidelines (e.g., the HTML spec).

>>> An "else" descriptor
>>> A kind of alternative attribute but for CSS. Allows UAs that don't
>>> support a specific CSS property to take on an alternative:
>>> p { color: #803050, else(volume: 120%;); }
>> p { color: #803050; volume: 120%; }
>
> No, more like:
> p { color: #803050, volume: 120%; }
> We have alternatives for fonts, so why not everything else?

What I wrote did exactly what you asked for. The 'color' and 'volumne'
properties will never be supported by the same medium/UA combination
anyway, so that may not be what you meant...?

I'm not sure I really follow.

CSS already defines strict parsing rules, so for example a UA that only
supports absolute and static positioning would pick absolute when given:

   DIV { position: static; position: absolute; position: fixed; }

What exactly did you mean?

>>> Alternate placement/content etc.
>>> @media aural {
>>> h1 { alt: url(heading1.wav) }
>>> }
>>
>> @media aural {
>>    h1 { content: url(heading1.wav); }
>> }
> Possibly as a hack for now, but I'd rather see alt: whatever, because
> it is specific that it denotes "alternative content", rather than just
> "content". This is for an ACSS module, don't forget

I don't understand. What you are asking for is for the H1 element contents
to be replaced by 'heading1.wav', no?

At one point in the past I proposed a multiple item version of 'content':

   h1 { content: url(heading1.wav), auto; }

...which would use heading1.wav if possible, otherwise would use the
element's contents. Would this work in this case?

> (actually, being "Netscape, Standards Compliance QA" it might well be
> the main thing on your mind!)

Hmm. "CSS Working Group, Invited Expert" then ;-)

>>> Spacer
>> ? You mean like margin or pause-before?
> No, a standardization of all of the spacing attributes of CSS: like
> text-indent, pause-before, margin, but also allowing us to ass
> horizontal rules, and as many spacers/spacing rules as you can think
> of. Probably not ACSS.

I still don't follow. Could you give an example?

>>> anim:freeze
>> Wouldn't this be best dealt with at a UA/UI level ?
> Yes, but you might want to provide a style for the control of it, or
> advise that it not be turned off, or whatever.

Er, as a user I don't want the author to decide what I can or cannot do
using my programs on my computer.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
CSS Working Group, Invited Expert              /. `- '  (  `--'