Vertical writing mode


Don't know if this is the right place to ask this question or not, but I'm
not sure what is more appropriate.

Internet Explorer 5.5 provides a writing-mode property (probably more of an
XSL thing but they have it in CSS anyway) that allows one to say that text
flows from top to bottom, right to left at which point a lot of things in
CSS3 start to become important. When IE changes writing mode, it creates a
new box for the rotated content that gets flowed as an inline block (behaves
like a block but is flowed into a line).

The algorithm used to compute the height of this box (ie how far down the
page the vertical text will flow) is not described anywhere, preventing me
from implementing it fully. Does any such description exist? With IE 5.5, as
you resize the window you can tell it is a strange function of the window
height and volume of text, but not much more. This algorithm is important
since without it it's very hard to create something that looks even similar.

Any ideas?



Received on Monday, 2 October 2000 15:51:34 UTC