Re: Innumerable UI WD errors

--- I wrote:
> SELECT, SELECT[size=1] {color: pulldownmenutext;
> background: pulldownmenu;
> min-width: 25px;
> border: pulldownmenuborder;
> height: 1lines;
> font: pulldownmenu;
> scrollbar: menu} /* With overflow: scroll */

But I was wrong.

It is not scrolling behaviour at all. However, it is not described by the
WD either.

Correct would be:

SELECT {position: relative}

SELECT[size] :first-child:after {content: ""} /* I find this preferable to
the semasiologically worthless 'content: normal' */

SELECT[size=1] :first-child:after, SELECT :first-child:after {content:
menu;
position: absolute;
right: 0;
top: 0} /* Depends on the definition of containing block for inline blocks
*/

SELECT {padding-right: 3% /* This is needed for both the list menu
(SELECT[size!=1]) (for the scroller) and for the dropdown/popup menu (for
the menu 'scroller'); note that this requires that scrollbars be placed in
the padding area (I believe this is the best approach anyway; certainly
they should never be placed in the margin area by reason of the potential
for adjacent elements, etc.) */ }

, which indicates the scroller should be appended

----
:menu

The sole purpose of :menu is to avoid requiring UAs to support dynamic
document reflow, since :menu is always produced when an element is
:active; :menu selects the entirety of an element, some of the time - this
is a typical charectiristic of a pseudo-class.

There are no advantages from an author's point of view to :menu. That when
they specify A:active {color: red}, what they are actually seeing is the
:menu that is positioned on top of A:active is of no concern; there is
certainly no need for a :menu/:active duality from the author's point of
view.

As a result the :menu exists purely to simplify UA design; this seems to
be somewhat misguided in that UAs that support the myriad of properties
will almost certainly support the use of :active in this way.

I am not necessarily opposed to :menu as a concept, but I believe there
are issues that must be resolved; if, for example, the element is outside
normal flow then it could not be on the basis of absolute positioning
because this makes implications about the :menu's containing block (i.e.,
that the SELECT is relatively positioned), and restricts the :menu by the
height, overflow, etc. of the SELECT. If this is simply linguistic laxity,
then it must be cleared up.

=====