RE: What's an em

Well, the (non)-realism of the CCS2 font-size-adjust example aside for
a moment:

Assume the (lowercase dominated) headings are asked (by the page author)
to be of x-height 7 mm in Flemish Script, the body text (lowercase
dominated) to be of x-height 3.5 mm Verdana.  Whatever font substitutions
are done (keeping the asked-for x-heights to a reasonable degree), one
would still get a proper percieved size difference between the heading
and the body text.  Right? Or??? An invariant you would NOT get if the
heading and body sizes were asked for in "point sizes" for some unknown
square.  Right?  'Definiteveness' is a non-issue when the text is hard
to read, or even unreadable.

Please read my suggestion again before entangling everyone in strange
calculations that have nothing to do with the suggestion at hand.

But as I said before, my issue is not with extreme typefaces, where
some odd (but hopefully not too odd) effects may occur, but with
ordinary "every-day" typefaces.  So even if it is not perfect, *some*
adjustment to get *near* size invariance is better than complete
non-invariance.  Which does give problems NOW, when different systems
do different font substitutions, and the author might have no idea
what font substitutions are done (and would not care to test them all,
even if he/she did).

		Kind regards
		/kent k