Absolute positioning (was: Relative positioning)

Rick Johnson wrote:
> http://www.firespring.com/testcssp2.html
>
> The only change between pages is that I added a "bottom: 200px;" to
> the attributes for MAIN, just to show that it doesn't work (at least
> in IE5 or NS4.7; I haven't checked others yet).

This reminds me:  there is a bug (well, I consider it a bug) in the
CSS2 absolute positioning rules [1] that causes the 'bottom' property
to be ignored in many situations.  The "bug" actually affects some of
the sample code in the CSS2 spec itself [2].

Are these rules being revised for CSS3?

[1] Absolute positioning rules, height calculations
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visudet.html#abs-non-replaced-height

[2] Example of absolute positioning rules:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html#fixed-positioning

Mozilla has serious problems trying to render [2], but if you specify
backgrounds for everything and then specify 'margin-top: auto' on the
footer, you'll see the intended behavior.

--
Jason