Re: POSITION: relative-to?

Maury Markowitz writes:

>   Where do I go to see the draft for CSS3?

There is no CSS3 draft as such. It is being published small bits at a
time on http://www.w3.org/TR

I try to keep an overview of what is currently available on
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/current-work

> > Btw., maybe you can solve your problem with fixed positioning. It is not
> > implemented very well yet, but it is coming.
>
>   I have looked at this too, but I;m not sure it will work (perhaps you can
> tell me?).  As I understand it fixed means that the box in question will
> stay put regardless of scroll correct?  The problem for me is that my box
> needs to scroll.

OK, then fixed positioning indeed won't help you.

>   I think my problem is much more basic than I've made it out to be. Let me
> try again: I would like to be able to use any addressable part of the
> document as the basis for my block's "0, 0" position, as opposed to using
> only that of my parent element.

Yes, but you have to do something to avoid being relative to an
element that comes later in the document. Not only will it slow down
the rendering, but it might even lead to infinite loops.

> > the http://www.w3.org/Style page (for which you will need Opera4, MacIE5
> > or a recent preview of NS6/Mozilla)
>
>   Does the Mac version of IE really do CSS that much better?  I'm using
> IE5.5/Win and it seems to be spotty.

My knowledge of MacIE 5 is spotty, too, but from what I've seen and
heard it is indeed better. For example, Webreview.com
(http://webreview.com/pub/guides/style/lboard.html) gives MacIE5 much
higher notes than WinIE5.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA