From: Maury Markowitz [mailto:maury@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2000 2:00 PM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: POSITION: relative-to?

  Another very annoying problem I've run into with CSS-positioning is that I
find that the _majority_ of the "boxes" I define I want to lay in some
obvious relationship to some other box.  For instance in my particular case
I want my nav bar to lie on the left of the main body (which is also below
the header and above the footer).

  One solution to this is to put the "next to" box at the front of the code
inline with the main body and then use FLOAT:left to position it. However my
whole reason for switching to CSS was to allow the code for the nav bar to
lie at the _bottom_ of my code so that in the degrading case the user
wouldn't have to wade through all my links before going onto the guts of the
article (it was viewing this exact problem in Lynx that got me into CSS).

  So instead I place the body and nav bar inside two divs, and then "move"
the nav bar up. But of course to do this I need to have a box to place it
inside of, which means that I have to wrap both inside yet another DIV. This
is somewhat annoying, and worse, I find that it makes me very confused about
style cascading.

  Is there any possibility that CSS could include the ability to position
blocks in relation to another? For instance, (forgive the syntax) what about
POSITION: relative-to(#anotherBlock).

  Or am I just missing something blindingly obvious and there's a way to
simplify my current layout as is?

Maury