Re: @font-face rules

> > > Does this mean that the document can specify its own font
> > > descriptors for the generic font "serif", and that these descriptors
> > > will be used rather than the UA's own descriptors?
> >
> > Yes, since the 'font-family' descriptor takes <generic-family> and the
> > author's CSS sheet comes after the UA's.
>
> I understand that the UA ought to let the user select fonts for each of
> the generics (serif, monospace, etc). The 3rd paragraph of section
> 15.2.6 says:
>
>   User agents are encouraged to allow users to select
>   alternative choices for the generic fonts.

However, the 2nd paragraph of CSS2's section 15.2.6 says:

  All five generic font families are defined to exist in all CSS
  implementations

What happens if the document author's style sheet specifies some
non-existent font for one of the generic fonts? Should the
implementation then look at the user's style sheet? Or should we ignore
@font-face rules for generic fonts in author style sheets to begin with?

(Thanks for your patience. I hope this is the right mailing list for
these questions!)

Erik