Re: The canvas

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, L. David Baron wrote:

> Section 14.2 of CSS2 says both of the following [1]:
>
> # Margins are always transparent so the background of the parent box
> # always shines through.
>
> # The background of the box generated by the root element covers the
> # entire canvas.
>
> Therefore, one of the following must be true:
>
>  * The margins of the root element are colored by the background of
>    the root element
>  * The root element cannot have margins.
>  * The background of the box generated by the root element covers
>    the entire canvas minus the margins of the root element.  (This
>    doesn't make much sense to me since the canvas can be much bigger
>    than the root element if the children of the root element overflow -
>    for example, wide tables or preformatted text.)
>  * Something else??

The first one, however you can understand it in a non-contradicting
way by looking at it like this: the root element `reverse inherits'
its background up to the canvas, in a similar way as you have the BODY
element reverse inheriting up to the HTML element, except that with
the :root and canvas backgrounds you inherit the computed value not
the specified value so that an image placed at the 'top left' of the
:root box will indeed be at the top left of the root box, not the top
left of the canvas (they could, with margins or positioning, be
different).

--
Ian Hickson
"So far, people have shown a reasonable amount of sense in evaluating