Re: 2 Markers and a run-in

On Fri, 05 Nov 1999 01:15:20 +0100, ament (ament@xs4all.nl) wrote:

> But what if we use a compact element instead of the run-in?
>
> * Part of another example document-tree
>  [*] R:before (marker)
>   *  R (compact)
>  [*] P:before (marker)
>   *  P (block-box ; non-floating ; not absolutely positioned)
>
> If inline(R:before)+inline(R) can live in P's left-margin:
>   => * R acts like inline
>   => * R:before acts like inline
> if it can't:
>   => * R acts like block box

I think the exact same thing happens to the generated content of the
compact element, since it is considered inline (see the first
paragraphs of CSS2 9.2.1 and 9.2.2).  However, now that I look more
closely, since section 12.3 overrides some of the last paragraph of
12.1, I'm not so sure.  It should also clearly define the behavior for
pseudo-elements with display marker.

In any case, the spec does not describe adequately the interaction
of a compact box preceding a block box with a marker.  I don't think
they should overlap, but that seems to be the current behavior.

David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >