Re: margin-box

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, L. David Baron wrote:

> In [1], Tantek Celik wrote that he could not come up with a use for
> a 'margin-box' value of the 'box-sizing' property. I think there is
> an real use: to make a table with margin 100% of the width of its
> parent element, but not overflow the parent.
>
> However, the concerns he raises about margin-box and collapsing
> margins are serious. Perhaps 'margin-box' could mean margin-box
> horizontally and padding-box vertically?

Actually, I'm not sure that the problems with margin-box and
vertically collapsing margins _are_ serious, since the collapsing is
done _after_ the 'height' calculations.

The height for 'margin-box' would simply be:

   computed value for height = specified value for height -
     (margin-top + border-width-top + padding-top +
      border-width-bottom + padding-bottom + margin-bottom)

What is the problem?

As David says, this is rather important with tables which specify
margins and want to be 100% the width of the parent (since
'width:auto' on tables triggers the automatic layout algorithm and not
the normal horizontal box model calculations).

--
Ian Hickson
"So far, people have shown a reasonable amount of sense in evaluating