Re: Body-indent

--- "L. David Baron" <dbaron@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:53:48 -0500 (EST), Jan Roland
> Eriksson
> (rex@css.nu) wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 04:25:37 -0800 (PST), you
> wrote:
Note that I didn't write this message at 4:25 am - I
am on GMT, but Yahoo Mail sends all messages with the
Pacific Standard Time.

> > >Perhaps I've missed a previous post, or perhaps
> there
> > >is an obvious way of doing this but it seems that
> > >body-indent: (opp. text-indent - i.e., all but
> the
> > >first line) is an obvious property.
> >
> > You may have missed some threads in ciwas as well
> as some basic
> > understanding of even the CSS1 specs.
> >
> >   P:first-line { padding-left: 0; }
> >   P { margin: 0; border: none; padding-left: 5em;
> }
> >

> That won't work for two reasons:
>
>  * Box properties aren't allowed on :first-line
> pseudo-elements.

1. If they were, text-indent would be as redundant as
Jan seems to think body-indent is.

2. Some features of CSS _can_ be achieved by other
means, but this does not mean that it is not better to
have the logical property.

>  * If they were, you'd want a -5em padding-left.
>
> There are methods for creating hanging indents using
> positive left
> margin and negative text-indent.  That's allowed (I
> think), but it is
> potentially unsafe because of interactions with user
> stylesheets or
> with browsers that don't support all properties.

Web Tv is one such browser - it supports margin-left
(but not margin-right, bottom or top) but not
text-indent.

=====