Re: Body-indent

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 15:53:48 -0500 (EST), Jan Roland Eriksson
(rex@css.nu) wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Nov 1999 04:25:37 -0800 (PST), you wrote:
>
> >Perhaps I've missed a previous post, or perhaps there
> >is an obvious way of doing this but it seems that
> >body-indent: (opp. text-indent - i.e., all but the
> >first line) is an obvious property.
>
> You may have missed some threads in ciwas as well as some basic
> understanding of even the CSS1 specs.
>
>   P:first-line { padding-left: 0; }
>   P { margin: 0; border: none; padding-left: 5em; }
>
> Might be an example if I have understood your question correctly.

That won't work for two reasons:

 * Box properties aren't allowed on :first-line pseudo-elements.
 * If they were, you'd want a -5em padding-left.

There are methods for creating hanging indents using positive left
margin and negative text-indent.  That's allowed (I think), but it is
potentially unsafe because of interactions with user stylesheets or
with browsers that don't support all properties.  I think a body-indent
or hanging-indent property would be a good thing.

David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
WSP CSS AC                      <URL: http://www.webstandards.org/css/ >