Re: CSS3 suggestion: @level

----- Original Message -----
From: Nicolas Lesbats <nlesbats@etu.utc.fr>
To: Braden N. McDaniel <braden@endoframe.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, May 31, 1999 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: CSS3 suggestion: @level

> On Mon, 31 May 1999, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:
>
> | Because of the interdependence inherent in many CSS properties, it is
often
> | impossible to write a CSS level n style sheet that achieves the desired
> | effects and can be reliably used by a CSS level n-1 (let alone n-2,
etc.)
> | UA. I think a "level" at-rule would alleviate this:
> |
> |     @level 3 /* the argument is an integer >= 3 */
> |     {
> |         /* at-rules and rulesets applicable to the
> |         designated level go here */
> |     }
> |
> | Conforming CSS1 and CSS2 UAs should ignore this altogether, since they
don't
> | recognize @level. CSS3 and subsequent UAs can choose whether or not to
> | ignore the block based on the value of the integer argument.
>
> I see a problem : a UA is never entirely conformant to a specific level of
> CSS, so even a UA that recognizes CSS 3.0 may format a page in a way that
> you don`t expect.

"Never" is a strong term. Call me foolishly optimistic, but I don't expect
it to be accurate. A page that recognizes a certain level is obligated to
provide full support for that level. If the W3C is producing specs that its
member companies cannot or will not support, then there is a more
fundamental problem that needs addressing.

> A proposition for CSS 3.0 is to give a mechanism that allows to know if a
> property has been applied or not. If not, another value or property could
> be applied.
>
> I don`t know if this feature would be sufficient to you...

It wouldn't. That kind of feature would be too unweildy and complex to
expect authors to be able to use it effectively.

Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com
<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>