Re: Question: Identation based on first child, how?

Thanks for the help...

At least I know I wasn't missing somthing now... I guess I will just have
to suffer with the restructuring of my documents, which seems to be the
only way to go really... (Otherwise I will confuse the CGI search script I
havn't finished yet...)

Thanks again...

Alix...

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Alix Pexton wrote:
>
> > I have a specification document in HTML where each sub-part uses the next
> > smallest heading than the last, a standard form I believe. Each subpart is
> > its own DIVision, (child of the body element), with the heading and a
> > number of paragraphs. I want to have it so each level of sub-part was
> > subtly more indented than its parent, and use CSS to do it.
> >
> > I was trying to figure out a way to indent a division bassed on what the
> > first tag inside it was, i.e. if the first tah was <h1> no indent, <h2>
> > 2 pixels and so on, but I couldn't get it to work. As far as I can
> > see it would either be the oposite of the > selector in CSS2 (< ?) or
> > mabe the oposite of the + selector also in CSS2 (- ?), but I cannot find a
> > way to perform the exact formatting I require.
> >
> > Is there a simple way to achieve this style of formating, or a subtly more
> > complex one, or will I have to restructure my documents, which are quite
> > lengthy and I don't really want to have to change.
> >
> > All help appreciated...
>
> If my understanding of your mail is correct, what you want to do
> is quite impossible with the existing selectors because 1) you miss
> an "indirect adjacent sibling selector" 2) because the subject of
> a selector is always the element selected by the last sequence of simple
> selectors of the selector 3) there is an arbitrary number of paragraphs
> in your sections.
>
> 4 solutions :
>
> a) add a "sec1" class to DIV sections 1, "sec2" to sections 2, ...
>    add the following styles
>
>    DIV.sec2 { margin-left: 2px }
>    DIV.sec3 { margin-left: 4px }
>    DIV.sec4 { margin-left: 6px }
>    DIV.sec5 { margin-left: 8px }
>    DIV.sec6 { margin-left: 10px }
>
> b) nest your DIVs, add a class "section" to them and
>    use the following rule:
>
>   DIV.section { margin-left : 2px }
>
>   which is IMHO simpler and more intuitive, works on existing
>   browsers, but implies a rewriting of your document in a more
>   structured way
>
> c) don't write your documents in HTML but use a XML dtd and translate
>    the instances into HTML ; this is better than c) but implies more
>    technos
>
> d) ask for an extension of CSS selectors (my favorite ;-)
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> </Daniel>

   --------~~~ t.a.n.pexton@scm.brad.ac.uk ~~~--------
   ---~~ http://www.student.brad.ac.uk/tanpexto/ ~~---
   "If you are falling off a mountain, you may as well
try to fly, after all, you have nothing to loose" JJS(JMS)
                        _+-~^~-+_