Re: Resizability

>From: western <western@westciv.com>
>Date: Tue, Jul 27, 1999, 3:26 PM
>
> I wonder if this isn't a little limiting. In application frameworks,
> window items can usually be resized by side. This gives rise to a great
> many possible resize options for an object as a whole. I haven't thought
> through the syntax through at all, but the basic principle is that for
> each side you can have one of 4 resize optionms
>
> 1) side is fixed while parent is resized
> 2) side stays centred while parent is resized
> 3) size moves while parent is resized
> 4) size moves proportionally while parent is resized.

All the parent dependent specific stuff you can already do using proper use
of the box model.

E.g. for "proportional/centered" resizing dependent on the parent, use
%/auto based margins, width and height.

For "direct" resizing dependent on the parent, just use physical/pixel unit
based margins, and no width/height setting.

The proposal only needs to address the user directly resizing a particular
element - children-resizing-automatically-when-parent-is-resized is
addressed by CSS1 - this helps keep the new "resizer" property simple,
straightforward, and a reasonable parallel to overflow:scroll.

The next question is, do people want separate control over horizontal vs.
vertical scrollbars (since overflow:scroll gives you both, not a choice of
one over the other).

Tantek