Re: Resizability

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:02:11 -0700, "Tantek Celik"
(tantek@cs.stanford.edu) wrote:
> >From: Garth Wallace <gwalla@sfgate.com>
> >Date: Tue, Jul 27, 1999, 11:10 AM
> >
> > So, how would this work? Would each element resize individually,
>
> Yes.  But obviously resizing an element affects the flow and layout of all
> elements following it.  So resizing on element could easily have the effect
> of resizing following elements.

Not if it's absolutely positioned, though.  Since absolute/fixed
positioning is the only (?) way to simplate frames, this poses a
problem.

Perhaps what is needed is some rule that if there are two resizable
edges at the same location, they 'merge' and are moved together.  Of
course, that requires defining 'same location.' It would also be nice
to be able to move one side and not the other, so the resizable edges
look like (for example, to simulate [1]):

---|

I'm not sure if this is in the proposal you mention.  I'll probably
have more to say when it's public.

David

[1] http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/sat/frames.html.en

L. David Baron     Rising Sophomore, Harvard     dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.        < http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >
Summer Intern, Netscape - however, opinions are entirely my own, etc.