Re: IE4 using 'width'/'height' props the wrong way?

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998, Jonas Salling wrote:

> Just wanted to have this potential IE4 'misfeature' verified by people who
> know the specification well.
>
> My impression after reading the CSS2 spec. is that the following snipped
> should produce a 200pt-wide red strip.
>
> <DIV style="padding-left: 20pt; padding-right: 20pt; border-left: solid
> 20pt; border-right: solid 20pt; margin-left: 20pt; margin-right: 20pt;
> width: 200pt;">
> <P style="background-color: red;">200 pts of red</P>
> </DIV>
>
> Unfortunately, IE4 (Win) seems to define 'width' as being the width of the
> content PLUS padding and border. Is this a bug, or am I just confused after
> having spent too many hours working with our rendering machinery?

Certainly, width refers only to content width and if IE4 includes the
padding and border then it is wrong. It may be that you need to set the
width (or padding?) of the paragraph explicitly so that it fills the
horizontal space available.

Tim Bagot