Re: IE4 using 'width'/'height' props the wrong way?

From: Jonas Salling <salling@cooper.xanthus.se>

>Just wanted to have this potential IE4 'misfeature' verified by people who
>know the specification well.
>
>My impression after reading the CSS2 spec. is that the following snipped
>should produce a 200pt-wide red strip.
>
><DIV style="padding-left: 20pt; padding-right: 20pt; border-left: solid
>20pt; border-right: solid 20pt; margin-left: 20pt; margin-right: 20pt;
>width: 200pt;">
><P style="background-color: red;">200 pts of red</P>
></DIV>
>
>Unfortunately, IE4 (Win) seems to define 'width' as being the width of the
>content PLUS padding and border. Is this a bug, or am I just confused after
>having spent too many hours working with our rendering machinery?

It's my understanding that IEv4 implements CSS-1 and Positioning.  You may
be a bit premature in expecting CSS-2 compliance.  The diagram depicted in
"4    Formatting model" of the CSS-1 spec has been my experience when using
IEv4 for Win95.

Using that model you'd compute (width [of the div] - 2(margin + border +
padding)) to get the width of the contained paragraph.

later,
gordon