Re: Precedence within a stylesheet

Douglas Rand writes:

 > The reason it isn't clear is that the spec. doesn't ever seem to
 > make what is (to me) an obvious limitation on rule matching.  That
 > is that the leaf node specified in the selector (in this case just
 > the single element) must be a match for the element being looked
 > up.

This is stated in [1]:

 "Find all declarations that apply to the element/property in question.
  Declarations apply if the selector matches the element in question. If
  no declarations apply, the inherited value is used."

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#cascading-order

(We should probably have defined "match" in the terminology section,
but we seem to have the same understanding of the term so I don't
believe that's the source of confusion.)

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org      http://www.w3.org/people/howcome
World     W      i     d     e       Web  Consortium