Re: Font Smoothing and CSS

Todd Fahrner wrote:

> I do agree that anti-aliasing is critical to rendering a wide variety of
> typefaces attractively at screen resolution.

It makes a tremendous difference.  The quality of text display I get
from IE* or Netscape* is, frankly, rubbish - but most of my colleagues
think it is OK - I'm just used to nicely anti-aliased text all over my
desktop.

* Version 3 of both running on an NT4 server

> But I think this may be a minority opinion - many people complain
> about "fuzziness," no matter how well-done.

It would be interesting to discover user opinion from a wider survey.
You'd have to include the font technology they they based their
comments on too, as you wouldn't want to be confused by poor
implementations.

I've found that when I have to use Microsoft Windows, I have to use
large fonts because the smaller ones are unreadable.  On my own
machine, I can happily use smaller fonts and everything remains far
more legible.  Apart from the Acorn RISC OS font manager, which is
built-in to my computer, the only other system I have only seen the
Microsoft font smoothing.  I haven't seen TrueDoc as it doesn't appear
to be supported on RISC OS yet as far as I've noticed.

--
Stewart Brodie, Electronics & Computer Science, Southampton University.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~snb94r/