RE: Static positioned block to define origin for abs positioned c hildren?

This is possible. You need to specify position: relative on a parent
element. That defines a new coordinate system for all child elements.

<H1>Hello World</H1>
<DIV STYLE="position: relative">
  <P>This is inflow.
  <DIV STYLE="position: absolute; top: 10; left: 10">
    This is offset 10x10 from the upper-left corner of the parent DIV that
is contained within the flow of the document
  </DIV>
</DIV>

-Scott