W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > November 1997

Re: VALIGN Equivalent?

From: David Perrell <davidp@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:20:21 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Message-ID: <01bcfab9$7be302e0$3b8cd9cf@davidp>

Andrew n marshall wrote:
>Have I overlooked an equivalent to the VALIGN property found in HTML tables
>and table cells?

Not in the CSS1 spec. There's a CSS2 proposal at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-CSS2/tables.html#h-17.6> that applies the
vertical-align property to block-type elements. I've suggested a similar
'vertical-position' property for block element content.

Another possibility is to allow the 'auto' value for the padding property.
In your divframes page, for example, setting padding-top and padding-bottom
of #sidebar to 'auto' would vertically-center the content in the panel. But
this is not a substitute for VALIGN.

David Perrell
Received on Wednesday, 26 November 1997 20:31:34 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:26:45 UTC