RE: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

Heh.  The "Microsoft plot" theory.  I love it.  :^)

Yes, our internal default stylesheet for various elements is hard-coded
into IE4 - for reasons of performance and user-proof rendering.  It is
fairly easy, however, for me to whip through the source and come up with
the default renderings, translated into CSS.  I would be personally very
supportive of coming up with the "UA default stylesheet" - however,
there are a couple of problems.  First of all, due to the
inheritance/cascading weirdness in IE3 and Navigator described in this
thread, it will be odd to describe their rendering in terms of a
stylesheet, since it won't cascade like a stylesheet.  Second,
font-sizes are a little strange to describe, since for us they scale
when you select a different font set.  This fits beautifully if you use
the named keywords ('large', 'small', etc.) for us - these behave just
like <FONT SIZE=> sizes in IE4 (and I think IE3 as well), which scale -
but Netscape followed the suggestion of the CSS spec to use a scaling
factor of 1.5 between adjacent sizes, which doesn't match.  Barring
that, you have to use point sizes - which are only true if the user has
the "medium" set selected.

	-Chris
Chris Wilson
cwilso@microsoft.com