Re: CSS and SGML document formatting -Reply

Wolfgang Rieger wrote:
>.. snip ..
> There is the implementor side. What about the user/Web author side?

But it reflects the other side as you state below:

> Suppose you were a Web author ready to write style sheets in CSS,
> DSSSL-O and DSSSL. There would be browsers supporting
>
> - no style sheets
> - CSS only
> - DSSSL-O only
> - DSSSL
> - CSS and DSSSL-O
> - CSS and DSSSL
>
> What would you do?

This is exactly the problem,  what *would* you do?  The fundamental
choice is between CSS and DSSSL.  DSSSL-O at least appears to be a
proper subset of DSSSL,  if it isn't,  then that is a serious error.
So the real choices are:

None
CSS
DSSSL(-O)
CSS and DSSSL(-O)

What I would want as both an implementor and a web author is some style
sheet language which fit naturally within the syntax of HTML.  I would
probably not be happy with DSSSL having a lisp syntax (although I
haven't any problems with it myself).  Why can't a style sheet look more
like:

<STYLE CLASS=ABSTRACT.PARAGRAPH
       SPACE-BEFORE="10 POINTS"
       SPACE-AFTER="20 POINTS"
       START-INDENT="5 EN"
       KEEP-WITH-PREVIOUS>

What is the necessity to set the style declarations off in something
which requires a separate lexer and parser?  You could still store
the entire style sheet in a URL and load it once per. set of pages
which use the particular style sheet.

I must be missing something in this debate.

Doug
--
Doug Rand <drand@sgi.com>	(508) 567 - 2217
Silicon Graphics		http://reality.sgi.com/employees/drand