RE: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

Chris Lilley wrote:
>cwilso@microsoft.com wrote:
>>  There are
>> still lots of people who will set the font for each section of text in
>> Microsoft Word, instead of using the stylesheet support, because it is
>> easier for them to author that way.
>
>Actually it is not easier and it takes them longer to do and longer to get
>the look that they want. People do this because they are unaware of any
>other way. People do this because the manual covered on the fly formatting
>changes early on and made out that using a named style was hard.

I said "easier for them to author," not quicker or more productive.  Mindset
is an important factor.  Many people do this because they don't understand
why they should go through creating a new style and selecting it when all
they really want is a font change, and the font selection is staring them in
the face.  It's a matter of complexity.  I imagine it's the same reason
Netscape did "<FONT SIZE+=3>" instead of "<STRONG value="+3">" or some such.

I'm not saying this is RIGHT, remember.  I'm certainly not saying it is a
replacement for style-based formatting - if you asked me to choose between
HTML with stylesheets or RTF for document authoring, RTF would have boot
marks all over it.  :^)

>I have shown people how to do this. They "get it", they work faster, and
>they produce better looking documents. This is an education and
>documentation issue.

Your experience is different from mine.  I have taught several people how to
do this, and they dislike it.  I agree it is the "right" way to do things -
meaning more productive; I use styles pretty much exclusively over explicit
font changes in Word.  I still would not take that functionality out of Word
- it is useful.

>The next generation of "how to write an HTML document" primers just
>needs to be well written, and to be designed with care, that is all.

Hmm.  True, and even more so, I feel future authoring tools need to present
the stylesheet functionality in an intuitive manner.  That will, I believe,
influence authoring styles more than anything else.

	-Chris