Re: RDF query and Rules - my two cents

From: Thomas B. Passin <tpassin@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:27:32 -0500
Cc: www-rdf-rules@w3.org

Danny Ayers wrote:

> ... Ok, I understand the need for fine granularity, and the resource-centric
> approach you suggest makes sense, so you might want to make queries like:
>
> GET http://dannyayers.com/q?muri="http://dannyayers.com/"
>
> for information about the posts and
>
> GET http://dannyayers.com/q?muri="http://dannyayers.com/misc/foaf/foaf.rdf"
>
> for stuff about me. As it is, the data is served using

The point is that retrieving http://dannyayers.com/misc/foaf/foaf.rdf
might bring in 4 GB of all kinds of information, when what was wanted
was 2 kb of triples where you are the subject.  If you go back to the
original threads on the introduction of URIQA, Patrick defended his
decision to slightly extend HTTP for this purpose.   I have not been
completely convinced so far, but his thinking made a lot of sense to me.
I suggest that you read (or re-read) that thread to get clear on the
thinking, because I think it is very much on target.

Cheers,

Tom