Re: TR: SHOE, DAML : Conflicting definitions of "Thing" ?

At 16:22 -0700 4/24/03, Mike Dean wrote:
>>  But things can have multiple names;
>
>Yes, motivating in part daml:sameIndividualAs,
>daml:sameClassAs, etc.
>
>>  we don't make unique name assumption, do we?
>
>No.
>
>	Mike

SHOE's ontologies were created long before DAML, OIL, DAML+OIL or OWL
existed (in fact, SHOE predates RDF as well) -- when the SHOE
ontologies were ported to DAML, a mapper was used - and thus the
potential name conflict.  Most of the tools we've been building at
Maryland are namespace aware, so as Mike says, we just don't confuse
these things (danbri - they CAN be the same because we don't make the
unique name assumption, but that doesn't mean they are the same just
because the URIREFs have something in common).  For what it is worth,
SHOE used "Entity" in much the way DAML uses daml:thing; and used
"thing" to essentially mean some named entity.   SHOE didn't have
anything corresponding to "daml:nothing" as far as I can recall.
  Dealing with this in a non-name-space aware system would require
doing some sort of fix -- but then, using RDF/DAML/OWL without being
aware of namespaces intoduces many other problems
  -JH

http://www.cs.umd.edu/users/hendler